Frequently Asked Questions
Q.  I took my DL389 (Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training) to the DMV.  They told me that my certificate
was obsolete, expired or that I needed a new form.  What do I need to do to get a new completion certificate?

A.  We can no longer replace any completion certificate that is more than one year old.  This is not NCMT policy, it is
Department of Motor Vehicles and California Motorcyclist Safety Program policy.  NCMT cannot override or change this

The only way for you to get a new Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training in this case is to pay the course fee,
re-enroll as a new student and re-take the course.
Q.  I have lost (or did not receive) my completion certificate.  How do I get it replaced?

A. As of January 1, 2015, NCMT cannot replace any Certificates of completion (DL389's). However! Total Control Training can.
Please download the DL389 replacement request form
HERE. Once the form has been completely filled out, mail it to the
address on the form with a copy of your drivers license or ID and Total Control will send you a replacement.
Q.  I signed up for a course, but haven't received any notice or instructions by email or mail.  When will I receive

A.  We send course confirmation emails Mon-Thurs, 10 AM - 5 PM.  If you sign up after office hours on Mon-Wed, you will
receive both confirmation emails the next day.  If you sign up after hours on Thursday, or on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you
will not receive both confirmation emails until the following Monday.  If you sign up over our end of the year break, you may not
receive your class schedule/confirmation until the end of the break.
 If you have not received both course confirmation
emails by then, please contact us.  Don't wait until the day of your classroom session!
Q.  I need directions and/or a map of the class location.

A.  Attached to our confirmation email, you will find course instructions, driving directions and map(s).  You will also find links
here and on our website to the maps and driving directions for our
Petaluma, Hayward/San Lorenzo, San Mateo and Antioch
sites.  If you haven't received our email, contact us by email or phone and we will get the information to you.  
Please don't wait
until the day of the class to check for our emails!
Q.  What is required for me to take the CMSP Motorcyclist Training Course (MTC)?

A.  Click here to be taken to our "Beginner" page.  All course requirements for the MTC are explained there.  If you have any
questions after reading this page, please do not hesitate to call us during our business hours.  We are always happy to answer
your questions!
Q.  I have received a Standby Certificate from NCMT.  What does it mean, and how can
I redeem it?

A.  If a student is dropped, self-drops, is counseled out or self-counsels out of a class, we automatically send a Standby
Certificate.  The Certificate entitles a student to attend the Basic RiderCourse on one future occasion on a standby basis at no
extra charge.
 Standby Certificates are valid for one year and cannot be renewed.  

A Standby Certificate may be transferred to another person with the prior approval of and payment of a transfer fee to NCMT.  
NCMT reserves the right to decline such a transfer.  

To redeem your Standby Certificate, you must appear at the class you would like to attend.  Please bring your Standby
Certificate with you.  At the bottom of the Certificate, you will see a line marked, "Session".  This line tells you which portions of
the class you must retake in order to obtain a completion certificate.  The three portions of the class are:  C1, the classroom
session including the Knowledge Test; R1, the Saturday riding session, and R2, the Sunday riding session including the Skills
 If more than 180 days have passed since the start date of your original class, you must attend all three sessions
in order to receive a completion certificate even if you have attended one or more class sessions previously.
arrive at the class session you need to retake at least 15 minutes prior to the session start time.  If there is a vacant seat
available, it will be made available to standby students on a first-come, first-serve basis.

You may have to appear more than once to obtain a seat.  Persistence is the key!  Information on class status is available by
calling us during business hours.  We will be glad to inform you if there are vacant seats in a class.  Of course, we cannot
accurately predict whether a full class might have seats available due to student's non-attendance or other reasons, which is
why persistence is the key to redeeming your Standby Certificate.  

If you do not wish to remain in a standby status, you may re-reserve a specific class upon payment of a $129
re-reservation fee.  If you decide to re-reserve, please call us during business hours and we will be happy to
assist you.
Q.  I would like to pick my completion certificate up in person.  Can I do that?

A.  You can pick up your completion certificate by appointment only at our offices at 1295 Petaluma Blvd. North, Suite #1 after
10:30 AM on Wednesday.  
You must call our offices on the Monday morning following your class 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM to
make an appointment to pick up your certificate in person.
Q.  What do I need to bring to the classroom session?

Filled out registration, waiver, NCMT P & P, & CSM Waiver (if applicable).
A pen/pencil to write with
If you have any questions about riding gear you plan to use, bring that also.
Q: Can I take the class with an out of state, out of country drivers license, or ID card?

Yes! Any individual, 15.5 years of age or older, who wishes to participate in a CMSP MTC or PMTC
must have
one of the following: a valid Government-issued photo ID, drivers license, or out of country license. These can be
from California, another state, or another country. CMSP accepts out-of-state and out-of-country student credentials that are
acceptable to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
I need to cancle my reservation:  Can I receive a refund?  How do I obtain a refund if one is approved?

A.  NCMT requires 5 business days' notice prior to the start day of your class to cancel your class and issue a refund by check
or reschedule you to another confirmed class seat.  
The 5 business days do NOT include weekends, holidays, OR the start
day of your class
.  In order to guarantee adequate notice, you must call our office at 1-877-743-3411 or 707-773-3188 during
our office hours (Mon-Thurs, 9 AM - 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM - 6 PM).  We regret that we may not be able to honor cancellation
requests sent by email or left on our office voice mail outside our office hours.  Cancellation requests received with less than 5
business days' notice can be granted, but a Standby Certificate is the only option in those cases; no refund or reschedule is
offered unless we receive 5 business days' notice as stated above.

To receive a refund when approved:  When a student has been canceled their seat with 5 business days' notice or more, the
student must send an original signed letter (sorry, no faxed or emailed letters accepted) requesting a refund of their enrollment
fee.  The letter need not be received more than 5 business days' notice as long as the student has noticed NCMT and that notice
been acknowledged by NCMT more than 5 business days before the start date of the student's class as noted above.  Upon
receipt, NCMT will refund by mailed check.  The refund letter must be accompanied by a self addressed stamped envelope to
ensure that the refund is sent to the correct address.  Failure to follow this procedure may result in your refund being delayed.

Refund request letters should be sent to:

Northern California Motorcycle Training
1295 Petaluma Blvd. North, Suite 1
Petaluma, CA 94952

Please do not send a refund request letter unless you have communicated with NCMT staff and your refund has
been authorized.
Q.  Now that I have my completion certificate, what do I do with it?

A.  If you are under 21 years of age:  Fill out sections 2 and 3 of the certificate.  Obtain the "Rider's Handbook" from the
DMV, study it; then go to the DMV,
show the certificate to the DMV clerk, you should not turn it in at this time!  You will be
allowed to take the written motorcycle permit test and upon passing, be awarded a motorcycle permit.  You will have to ride
under the provisions of the permit for 6 months
or until you reach 21 years of age, whichever comes first.  At that time, you may
go to the DMV; this time, turn in your certificate in and you should receive your M1 (motorcycle) endorsement.  Consult with the
DMV as to whether or not you will receive a new hard copy license and how long that might take.

If you are over 21 years of age:  Fill out sections 2 and 3 of the certificate.

If you have not yet taken the written test at DMV, obtain the "Rider's Handbook" from the DMV, study it; then go to the DMV,
take the written test and upon passing it, turn in your completion certificate.  You will receive your M1 endorsement.  Consult
with DMV as to whether or not you will receive a new hard copy license and how long that might take.

If you have already taken the written test at DMV and hold a valid motorcycle learner's permit; take your completion certificate to
the DMV
in person, turn it in and receive your M1 endorsement.

DMV may have different procedures for out of country license holders. Please check with your local DMV for your specific
licensing questions/procedures.
(877) 888-NCMT (6268)
Q: If I have an out of state or out of country drivers license, will I get a certificate of completion?

Yes! All students, possessing a valid license, out of country license, or government issued ID card will be issued a certificate
of completion.